Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Dividing Day

Wow! I can't believe I have been in the hospital 34 days. Sometimes it seems like it hasn't been near that long, and sometimes it is hard for me to remember what life was like before the accident. There is a song called 'Dividing Day' from the musical 'Light in the Piazza' that my sweet friend Caroline recently performed, and I feel like this accident was my dividing day. There is a before - my old life, where I took my friends and talents for granted, and there is an after - my new life, where I will have to work 10 times as hard to do some of the things I enjoy, but my eyes have been opened to the many friends, family, neighbors and acquaintances who care for me more than I ever could have imagined.

Tomorrow morning I go in for my fifth surgery. My doctor feels like this could be my last big surgery, and if all goes well....I might go home next week! Very exciting prospect! But also scary. Here in the hospital, things are very safe. The nurses make sure I get my medications, my friends make sure I have a clean face and tidy hair, the hand therapist comes to me to work on my hand...the list goes on and on. When I go home, things will be much more challenging. I will still have an immobile arm. I will be responsible for getting my meds and water and making it to the bathroom and getting in and out of bed. Now I know my family will help me with some of these things. And, my friends will be available during the day to help me. But I also have to regain some independence and start doing for myself again, one step at a time. This is the 'after'. The new life where I learn to manage with one hand for a while as I go through my therapy. It is going to be a big challenge! But, I have a great support system that is not going to disappear just because I'm out of the hospital! I know I can face this challenge head on because there are people right behind me, ready to do all they can to help me if I need them. So let's get this show on the road! I am ready to spend some quality time with my family in my own home! Sounds like we'll need to have a party soon....

No comments: