Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Few Words about Friendship

I cannot even begin to count the number of people who have lifted me up in one way or another these last few weeks. But before I ride off to surgery in my roll-y bed, I want to say something about my closest friends. My Best Friends.

I have the best friends ever. They have been with me, right by my side, for every step of this journey. These are the women I hang out with, shop with, eat out with, have Thursday night wine or margaritas with...the women I have shared my hopes and dreams and failures and the parts of my life I would like to keep secret even from myself. We have a great relationship and I have always felt I could depend on them.

Well, there is nothing like a few weeks in the hospital to test the limits of your relationships. And if this was some kind of test, they have passed with flying colors! My friends have bought me hospital clothes, brushed dried blood out of my hair, brushed my teeth, washed my face, brought me Sonic, tempted my waning appetite with my favorite foods, dressed me, washed me, helped me use the toilet, talked with me and rehashed the same moments over and over,long into the night, cut my food, fed me, painted my toenails, cleaned my fingernails....things I would NEVER EVER expect to ask from ANYONE. And the best part is, I haven't had to ask. Not once. My friends know me so well, they anticipate my needs. And since the accident, I have had at least one of them in arm's reach, day or night. They worked a schedule so they can be here for me. They have blessed me over and over!

My friends have given up time with their families and other friends to be with me. They have been instrumental in keeping me moving forward. I would not be holding up so well if they weren't here for me - that is certain! I have the best friends anyone could ever ask for. I do not know how I have been lucky enough to be blessed with not just one close friend, but THREE! I cannot imagine my life without Rebecca Ellerbrook, Trish Blazauskas, and Vicki Graham. They have been here for me every moment and every step of the way. I love you girls! Thank you for every laugh, every cry, every quiet moment, every look that spoke volumes more than we could put into words, every second of just being together and enjoying each others' company, every hour that you have watched over me while I slept. You are the very best friends anyone could ever have. It is impossible for me to thank you for all you have done for me and are planning to do for me as I recover, so all I can say is, "Thank you," and, "I love you!" And maybe someday I will be able to give you back some of these awesome blessings you have given me.

No comments: